Nutrition Education, a core WIC service, distinguishes the WIC Program from all
other USDA nutrition programs. At PHFE WIC we are committed to providing
meaningful nutrition education to our participants by way of interactive,
learner centered classes and client centered individual counseling.
5 Key Messages
PHFE WIC has implemented 5 key health messages as part of staff and participant
- Healthy Habits begin at Birth: Breastfeed your baby
- Eat a Rainbow of colors
- Lose the Fat, Keep the Vitamins, Drink Lower fat milk
- Make Half your Grains Whole
- Eat More of Anytime foods and Less of Sometime Foods
Group Nutrition Education is designed with a keen eye on the population mix and
cultural preferences of our diverse participants. We test our education designs
extensively at several WIC sites in various languages. Using feedback provided
from both participants and staff, we modify the messages and recipes to make
them culturally appropiate to the target population.
A variety of topics are presented for two specific populations: pregnancy
(Prenatal Audience) and infants/children (General Audience) to age 5.
Here are a few samples for infants/children:
- Come to a Family Meal - Discussion revolves around reasons for a
family to eat together, and the health value of a meal.
- Make your Meal matter - Obesity is a rising epidemic in this
country. This was our opportunity to address obesity prevention by discussing
caloric content of fast food items and how to make healthier food choices when
- Looking Lean, Cooking Light - Recipes that are traditionally
made using full fat are analyzed. The discussion provides a platform for
participants to make these traditional recipes using healthy substitutes as
choices for the full fat ingredients, without sacrificing taste.
- Try something New - Discussion incorporates vegetables and
fruits into daily meals and introduces vegetables or fruit to participants who
may not be familiar with some of them.
- You are Special - Emphasis is on the importance of maintaining
good health especially for women who plan on getting pregnant. It focuses on
inter - conception health for both women and their male partners/spouses.
- Smartsize Your Meal & Supersize Your fun - Focus is on
portion control and plate size. Supersizing your fun emphasizes on activities
both enjoyment and promote healthy lifestyles.
Individual Education is constantly updated with current nutrition information.
We provide ongoing training to PHFE WIC staff both on nutrition updatesand
techniques for engaging participants in meaningful discussions on the nutrition
or health topic of their choice.
For more information about our education training or topics, please contact: